“The Big Fix” Gulf oil spill documentarian braces for backlash

Reuters

CANNES, France (Hollywood Reporter) – “The Big Fix,” a documentary which claims to blow the lid off the “massive cover up” surrounding last year’s Deepwater Horizon oil spill is set to generate a storm of controversy at its world premiere in Cannes Tuesday.

Billed as an “Inside Job” for the oil industry, the documentary, from director Josh and co-director Rebecca Tickell (“Fuel”), exposes a network of corruption surrounding the spill and its supposed clean up. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Josh Tickell said that litigation could follow the Cannes premiere.

“We are taking on the oil companies, the U.S. government, the military and the banks,” Tickell said. “And we are exposing something that the U.S. media didn’t cover … So there is a danger.”

Tickell is careful not to mention the name British Petroleum but BP looms large over “The Big Fix” and will likely play a center role in the reaction to the movie here in Cannes and elsewhere.

Rebecca Tickell has herself joined a class action suit against the oil companies involved in the spill after exposure during the shoot left her with an extreme case of photosensitivity. She is now unable to go out in the sun without breaking out in a severe rash.

Controversial documentaries have a long tradition in Cannes. “Inside Job” screened here last year and Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 9/11” won the Palme d’Or in 2004.

To ensure maximum exposure for the film, the Tickells will be joined on the red carpet Tuesday by Peter Fonda, who is an executive producer on the film, singer Jason Mraz, who composed a new song, “Collapsible Plans,” for The Big Fix soundtrack, and actress Michelle Rodriguez, who will be a key figure in the film’s promotional campaign. Tim Robbins has also recently joined the film as an executive producer.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on ““The Big Fix” Gulf oil spill documentarian braces for backlash

  1. Speaking of which, we still don’t know what happened to all those ideas for mitigating the NEXT disaster!

    The database containing all of those ideas has now been “disappeared”, without any journalists, lawyers, or outside scientists having had an opportunity to independently examine them. How “convenient” for BP (and maybe the Obama administration?)

    Come on lawyers! – start demanding that BP and the administration turn over ALL the information they have! Come on journalists! – why haven’t you asked what happened to BP’s database (which was also made available to the Coast Guard)? It’s journalism 101!!! We know almost nothing about what happened (behind the scenes) during the first 60 days of the disaster, so how will things change the next time around and are people (including scientists and engineers) going to AGAIN be asked to waste their time in useless “crowd-sourcing experiments” that will lead to nothing? (And, where IS the official administration report on the effectiveness of crowd-sourcing? – another question for journalists to ask.)

    Like

  2. Pingback: News Round Up: May 17, 2011 | Stuart H. Smith

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s