January 5, 2011
The scandalous silence of the EPA, Obama, the MSM and Congress
People are getting sick in the Gulf states and the sick are getting worse. Meanwhile, the MSM, EPA, President Obama and the rest of the merry band of government goofs that inhabit DC ignore the continued spraying of Corexit. Maybe if BP sprayed DC for a few weeks, it would get someone’s attention?
From the data sheet on Corexit:
(According to the EPA, “Bioaccumulation is the process by which the chemical concentration in an aquatic organism achieves a level that exceeds that in the water, as a result of chemical uptake through all possible routes of exposure” ~ so these chemicals move up the food chain and make it into our grocery stores.)
IF ONLY BP HAD SPRAYED COREXIT OVER OAHU DURING OBAMA’S CHRISTMAS VACATION
The next time someone from the EPA claims to be “protecting” you from something, remember: the EPA approved Corexit.
Corexit is the chemical dispersant that BP has been saturating the Gulf States with ever since their oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico months ago.
Corexit (often styled COREXIT) is a product line of solvents primarily used as a dispersant for breaking up oil slicks. It is produced by Nalco Holding Company which is associated with BP and Exxon. Corexit is a highly poisonous toxin used as a dispersant in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, with COREXIT 9527 having been replaced by COREXIT 9500 after the former was deemed too toxic
Corexit 9527, considered by the EPA to be an acute health hazard, is stated by its manufacturer to be potentially harmful to red blood cells, the kidneys and the liver, and may irritate eyes and skin. The chemical 2-butoxyethanol, found in Corexit 9527, was identified as having caused lasting health problems in workers involved in the cleanup of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. According to the Alaska Community Action on Toxics, the use of Corexit during the Exxon Valdez oil spill caused people “respiratory, nervous system, liver, kidney and blood disorders”. Like 9527, 9500 can cause hemolysis (rupture of blood cells) and may also cause internal bleeding.
According to the EPA, Corexit is more toxic than dispersants made by several competitors and less effective in handling southern Louisiana crude. On May 20, 2010, the EPA ordered BP to look for less toxic alternatives to Corexit, and later ordered BP to stop spraying dispersants, but BP responded that it thought that Corexit was the best alternative and continued to spray it.
People in the Gulf states are getting sick. Those already sick from the chemical are getting sicker–and still, it continues to be sprayed. Where’s the EPA?
IF BP was operating a coal mine, the EPA would have shut it down by now, based on what might happen decades from now. But since people are getting sick immediately, the EPA ignores a toxic chemical being sprayed that’s coming into contact with men, women and children civilian populations.
Activist, Mother, and Voice of the Gulf People, Kindra Arnesen sat down with the Project Gulf Impact team, Matt Smith, Heather Rally, and Gavin Garrison recently to reveal shocking new information about the BP oil disaster and why the whole world should be paying attention to the Gulf. A must watch for anyone wanting new information on the Gulf of Mexico, she reveals shocking new information sure to send waves through the country.
To visit Kindra’s organization, The Coastal Heritage Society of America, please visit:
MORE about Corexit making people sick:
* Corexit Found In Swimming Pool Of Sickened Florida Family
* Report: BP dispersants are making people sick
* The FDA Won’t Test For Corexit In Seafood, Unless 300 Children Die From it Next Week
* Toxic Corexit: Growing No. of Sick Cleanup Workers
* Ban Corexit Now: Join Us, Send a Clear Message!
Where’s our feckless president? Why isn’t he looking for someone’s “ass to kick?” If BP had sprayed Corexit over Alan Wong’s restaurant during Obama’s Hawaiian Christmas vacation, perhaps some immediacy to the matter might have been achieved?
Could that have been the reason that Obama visited the Gulf for a few hours and then hightailed it to Marthas Vineyard in August?
One suspects that there was no noxious Corexit haze dulling the sunsets at Cape Cod.
Where’s the worthless Mainstream Media? How does al Jazeera scoop the Progressive poseurs at MSNBC?
Why isn’t Keith Olbermann broadcasting nightly from the beaches of the Gulf, weeping and gnashing his teeth about these people falling ill?
Progressive MSM: Silent.
It’s a disgusting situation, made worse by a disgusting silence from the EPA (Apparently, the EPA is too busy worrying about humans breathing out carbon dioxide to tackle a real problem.), the government and the MSM.
Maybe the U.S. Senate should be forced to convene in Grand Isle, LA until the spraying stops?
That might make the problem a little more immediate, eh?
As they say in France: this is bullsheet.
- Is dispersant still being sprayed in the gulf? (openchannel.msnbc.msn.com)
- Toxic illnesses linked to BP oil dispersants along Gulf coast (english.aljazeera.net)
- Unprecedented use of dispersant in the Gulf of Mexico – a ‘draconian experiment’ making people sick (bpoil.wordpress.com)
- Dispersant’s use adds subplot to oil spill saga (fuelfix.com)
- Oil dispersant maker asks judge to toss claims (miamiherald.com)
- Nalco,BP,Corexit &…GOLDMAN SACHS (insomniacanonymous.wordpress.com)
- Environmental groups sue EPA for stronger dispersant rules (fuelfix.com)
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed on Toxic Chemical Dispersants (prweb.com)
- Dispersant Manufacturer Wants Out of BP Class Action Suit (motherjones.com)
- BP Spill Workers Say Dispersant Made Them Sick – Corexit manufacturer Nalco wants US district judge handling case to exempt it from any liability (investmentwatchblog.com)