Videos & text from YouTube
In this interview with San Francisco radio host Rose Aguilar, Riki Ott talks about whether BP will ever be held responsible for the oil disaster, BP’s partnership with NOAA in schools, the oil disaster’s long-term effects on the ecosystem, the citizen uprising in the South, and the most effective way to save the planet from further destruction.
I spoke with Riki Ott on the sixth-month anniversary of the BP oil disaster — the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history.
In 1989, Ott, a marine toxicologist who lives in Cordova, Alaska, experienced firsthand the devastating effects of the Exxon Valdex oil disaster.
She’s spent five of the past six months traveling back and forth between Louisiana and Florida to gather information about what’s really happening in the Gulf and share the lessons she learned about long-term illnesses and deaths of clean-up workers and residents. She’s planning to return in January.
For more about her work, visit: http://www.rikiott.com/
Bridge the Gulf: http://bridgethegulfproject.org/
Parents just say ‘No’ to BP, NOAA school propaganda campaign – Examiner
Principal defends inviting BP and NOAA to educate her students about oil spill – Raw Story
BP educates Terrebonne students on oil spill – Tri-Parish Times
Oaklawn students engage in oily experiment – Houma Today
In this interview with San Francisco radio host Rose Aguilar, Riki Ott talks about the health crisis caused by the BP oil disaster in the Gulf. She says she’s currently dealing with three or four autopsies and knows of people who are down to 4.7% of their lung capacity and have enlarged hearts. “These people have oil in their bodies,” she said.
She believes four to five million people in the Gulf were exposed to either acute or intermediate levels of oil at dangerous levels.
White House blocked and put spin on scientists’ warnings – Guardian
Report: White House suppressed information on oil spill – AP
- Yes! Magazine Interviews Riki Ott (chelseagreen.com)
- Gulf Oil Spill: Hurricanes Could Carry Toxins As Far As New England (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gulf Oil Spill Health Effects: Tell Us Your Story (huffingtonpost.com)
- Riki Ott: Bio-Remediation or Bio-Hazard? Dispersants, Bacteria & Illness in the Gulf (chelseagreen.com)
- “Government Response to Gulf Oil Spill Was “A Little Bit Like Custer Underestimating The Number Of Indians On The Other Side Of The Hill”" and related posts (georgewashington2.blogspot.com)
- Evidence Mounts of Continued Harm from the Gulf Spill (triplepundit.com)
- Jerry Cope: Undefeated: The Gulf Coast 6 Months After the Blowout (huffingtonpost.com)
- Riki Ott: An Open Letter to US EPA, Region 6 (chelseagreen.com)
- BP Oil Spill Command Center Shut Down In Louisiana, Owner Craig Taffaro Alleges Company Owes Millions In Rent (huffingtonpost.com)
- WATCH: Diane Wilson and Riki Ott Join the Bioneers in a Webcast on the Health of the Gulf (chelseagreen.com)